Brother printer in error state is a common error that occurs when the printer is not connected properly, or it is jammed or its cover is open. This error message signifies that incorrect printer drivers are installed or the ink cartridges are placed inappropriately.
When you try to print any documents, the Brother printer is unable to do it. Hence, it might displays the brother printer drum error message on the screen. As a result, you won’t be able to use it properly.
This error message mainly appears if the Brother printer driver has not been updated properly. Whatever be the reason, you need to solve it at once to avoid further problems.
Reasons behind Brother Printer in Error State
There are several reasons behind the occurrence of the Brother printer in error state error. Some of the common reasons are listed which will explain why this error appears:
- Loose connection
- Corrupted Brother printer driver
- Hardware problem
- If the print spooler service is stopped working
- Incorrect ports settings
- An older version of the Operating System
Brother Printer in Error State: Get All the Effective Solutions
Here are several solutions to get rid of this error on the device. Here we will be discussing all the effective solutions that will help you to resolve the Brother printer in error state error on the Windows 10 device. Follow and implement them exactly as instructed below:
Solution 1 – Check the Connections
This problem appears due to the loose connections of the printer as well as the system. So, you need to check if the connection between the PC and the printer functions correctly. Moreover, you need to check whether the internet connection is properly working or not. If not, then properly connect them and then check if the problem is gone or not.
Solution 2 – Power Cycling the Entire Device
One of the easier solutions in which you will be able to fix the “Brother printer in error state” error is to power cycling the entire device. Let’s take a look at the steps given below:
- Press the Power button to switch off the computer as well as the Brother printer.
- Disconnect the Power cord from the Brother printer and the computer.
- Wait for 5-6 minutes and then connect the power cord to the printer and the device.
- After connecting the cable, press the Power button to turn on the printer as well as the computer and then check if the glitch has been resolved or not. If it fails to solve this error, then try to move to the next one.
Solution 3 – Make Sure the Brother Printer is Online
Another useful solution is to make sure the Brother printer is online. If you do not know how to do that then follow the undermentioned steps:
- Hit the Start button and then click on the Settings icon.
- When you are in the Settings window, go to the Devices section and then select the Bluetooth & other devices tab on the left panel.
- On the right window, click on the Devices and Printers to open the window.
- In that window, find the Brother Printer driver, select it. If the printer is set Offline, right-click on it and then select the Use Printer Online option from the menu list.
- After performing all these steps, reboot the device and then check if the error message still shows up or not.
Solution 4 – Change the Ports Settings
Incorrect ports settings can cause the “Brother printer in error state” error on your computer. Therefore, you need to change the ports settings properly. In order to eliminate this error by following these directions:
- Press the Start button and X key together to launch the WinX menu list and then choose the Device Manager.
- Once you are in the Device Manager window, click on the View option at the top menu bar and then select the Show hidden devices.
- Locate the Ports (COM & LPT), right-click on it and then choose the Properties from the menu list.
- From the Properties window, move to the Port tab and then select the “Use any interrupt assigned to the port” button.
- Tick on the box next to the “Enable legacy Plug and Play detection” option and then click on the OK button to save the changes.
- Once you are done with these steps, restart the system and then check if the Brother printer works normally or not.
Solution 5 – Set the Print Spooler Service to Automatic
If the print spooler service is stopped running, then you can come across this error on the device. So, you need to set the service to automatic. Here’s how to do that:
- Press the Win + R keys to open the Run box.
- Type services.msc and then click on the OK button or hit the Enter key.
- When the Services window opens, locate the Print Spooler service, double-click on it to launch the Properties window.
- In the Properties window, set the Startup type to Automatic from the drop-down menu list and then click on the Apply button followed by the OK option to save it.
Solution 6 – Update the Brother Printer Driver
To stop the “Brother printer in error state” from the appearing, it is important to keep the driver up to date. Go through these steps:
- Open the Settings window and then navigate to the Devices section.
- In the Devices section, click on the Devices and Printers option under the Bluetooth & other devices tab.
- From the Device & Printers window, find the Brother printer and right-click on it.
- Thereafter, select the Update Software Driver option to begin the update process.
- Once the process is complete, reboot the computer and the Brother printer.
Solution 7 – Uninstall the Brother Printer Driver and Reinstall it
A corrupted Brother printer driver can definitely result in this error message on the screen. So, you should reinstall the driver as soon as possible. Perform the following steps:
- Go to Solution 6 and follow the first two steps.
- In the Devices and Printers section, locate and right-click on the Brother printer and then choose the Uninstall device option.
- Once the driver is uninstalled, then install it again on your computer.
- Visit the official website of the Brother printer and look for the latest version of the Brother printer driver.
- After finding the driver, download and then install it properly.
- Once the installation process is done, restart the computer and the Brother printer and then check if the issue should be eliminated or not.
Solution 8 – Perform the Printer Troubleshooter
Performing the Printer troubleshooter can easily resolve the “Brother printer in error state” error on the PC. Here are some steps that you can follow:
- Open the Settings window and then navigate to the Update & Security section.
- From that section, select the Troubleshoot tab on the left panel.
- Scroll down the page and find the Printer troubleshooter section, select it and then click on the Run the troubleshooter option. To complete this process, you need to follow the on-screen directions carefully.
- Once the troubleshooting process is finished, restart the system and then check if it fixes the error or not.
These were the solutions following in which you should able to solve the “Brother printer in error state” error on your computer. So, read and perform them to get rid of this problem quickly.