Windows Update Components Must Be Repaired issue is one of the most common that you can face while updating the Windows Components. This message is displayed when you run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. As you know, Microsoft constantly releases new updates to ensure there are no bugs or errors in the Windows system. Perhaps, if the system had an improper shutdown or crashes, then it can show many problems. All this can lead to Windows Update Components must be repaired not fixed in the system. So if you encounter a similar issue, then you are in the right place to fix the issue. In this guide, we have provided all the solutions that you can implement to fix the issue with the system.
Probable Cause of the Windows Update Components Must Be Repaired issue:
Before moving to the solutions to fix the Windows Update Components Must Be Repaired issue, you need to know about the reasons that actually cause the problem. However, it is really uncertain to predict the actual cause of the problem. Although we have mentioned some of the most common that causes the issue.
- One of the most common causes is when the Windows Update Service is unable to continue its work properly. This means that the Windows Update Components have broken. Therefore they have to be reset to default.
- Plenty of times the issue occurs when there are some problems with verifying the version of the Windows Operating System installation. Thus you can opt for a clean installation of the Windows to make sure there is no problem with the system.
- Sometimes this issue can also occur when there are one or more windows update components are configured incorrectly.
Tried and Tested Solutions to Fix the Windows Update Components Must Be Repaired issue:
Without wasting any more time, let’s jump to the solutions that you can perform to fix the Windows Update Components Must Be Repaired issue. However, it is important to take a backup of all the personal data you have in the system. None of the solutions will erase anything though it is safe to stay on the safe side. Also, you can create a Restore Point of the system.
Some Basic Troubleshooting Steps for the Windows Update Components Must Be Repaired issue:
Here we have provided a list of basic troubleshooting that you can perform to fix the issue.
- Ensure that you have a good internet connection as well as it is stable enough to download the Windows Updates.
- If you have any VPN client then stop it, also make sure that the Antivirus is turned off till the update process is complete.
- Ensure the Date and Time of the Computer are exact and correct.
Solution 1: Run System File Checker (SFC) and DISM Scan to Check for Corrupted Files
Before moving to the complicated methods, you can check if there are any issues with the core files. Both the scan will check if there is any corrupted file in the system. By performing this solution you can get to know about the corrupted files in the system.
- Right-click on the Windows logo and then select the Command Prompt (Admin) option. Alternatively, you can search for it in the search bar or Cortana, then right-click on the Command Prompt, now select the Run as Administrator option.
- When the Command Prompts open, type “sfc /scannow” and then hit the Enter button.
- Once the scan starts, it will remove all the corrupted files from the system.
- Wait until the scan is finished. Once the scan is finished you can restart the computer.
- Following the above launch the Command Prompt as Run as Administrator.
- Now you have to type the command,
“DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess” and then hit the Enter button.
- However, you need to keep in mind that you have to enter the exact same command to ensure that this locates and replaces the corrupted files.
- Then you have to replace the folder to C:\RepairSource\Windows placeholder.
- After that, when the scan process is complete the DISM will create %windir%/Logs/CBS/CBS.log, which is a log file.
- Reboot the system and then check if the issue still persists or not.
Solution 2: Reset the Windows Update Components
If the above solution could not fix the issue then you can skip to this solution. As you know that the main reason behind the issue is that it is related to Windows Update Services. Therefore you can opt for resetting the components. According to the experts, this has the highest rate of success. So if you want to reset the Windows Update Components then you can go through the following set of instructions provided below.
Although this process is a bit complicated. Not to worry we have all the solutions that you can follow to do it successfully.
- Right-click on the Start menu of Windows then select the Command Prompt (Admin).
- Once the Command Prompt opens, you have simply copy and paste the commands and then hit the Enter button.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptsvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- After that, you have to delete some files to continue with the reset process of the Windows Update Service. You too can do this with the Command prompt, simply copy the following command.
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat”
- Furthermore, you have to rename the SoftwareDistribuation nad Catroot2. To do this copy the following command and then paste it in the Command Prompt and then hit the Enter button.
Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
- Once the above process is complete, this will reset the Background Intelligence Transfer Service (BITS) as well as the Windows Update Service (wuauserv) to their default settings.
- After that, you have to copy the following commands and paste them. However, make sure there is no mistake in copying the command and then hit the Enter button.
exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
- To continue with the final steps you have to navigate to the System32 folder. So simply type the command.
cd /d %windir%\system32
- With all the above process as we have reset the BITS as well as the Windows Update Services, you have to now reset the Winsock. To do so simply copy the following and paste in the Command Prompt.
netsh winsock reset
- Once all the process is complete you can now start the processes that you have stopped before starting the process. And for that, you can type or copy the command in the Command Prompt.
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- Lastly, just restart the computer and check if the problem is fixed or not.
Solution 3: Perform Clean Install of the Windows
Another solution that you can perform if none of the above solutions solves the Windows Update Components Must Be Repaired issue. Then you can simply perform a Clean Installation of the Windows. To do this method, you can go through the set of instructions provided below.
- Click on the Windows logo to open the Start menu and then open the Settings menu of the Windows.
- Now you have to open the Update & Security option.
- Then from the left panel, you have to click on the Recovery option.
- Navigate to the right panel, then click on the Get Start button under the Reset this PC section.
- In the next screen, you have to select the option “Keep my files” so that it reinstalls Windows without removing any personal files or data from the system.
- Furthermore, on the next screen select the appropriate option that you want to choose.
- Lastly, click on the Next option and go through the on-screen instructions to reinstall the Windows in a clean way. Wait until the process is complete and then check if the Windows Update Components must be repaired not fixed or not.
That is all with the solutions to fix the Windows Update Components Must Be Repaired issue. You can go through the solutions and check which one solves the issue in your case.