Many Windows 10 users have complained on public forums that their computers are slowing down due to some processes. One such process is Wsappx. Wsappx High CPU usage takes up a lot of RAM which results in the slowing down of processes. It is a legitimate Windows process and can be found in Windows 8 and Windows 10.
What is Wsappx High CPU usage?
This can be found in the Task Manager process list. It was first introduced in Windows 8, and it is also present in Windows 10. This acts as a background process for the Universal app platform of Microsoft and Windows Store. It helps in making sure that the apps are licensed properly, updating the apps in the store, installing as well as uninstalling them. So, when you have updated all the apps, there is no requirement for it to work in the background.
If you go to the Task Manager and expand Wsappx, you will see that there are many sub-services that are running. Windows Store Service (WSService), Client Licence Service ClipSVC), and Appx Deployment Service (AppXSVC) are the three sub-services.
Windows Store Service (WSService)
It handles the Windows 8 infrastructure support and also the background services for the Store. This is the same as the ClipSVC, but in Windows 10 it does not show up.
Client License Service (ClipSVC)
The infrastructure support for the store is handled by ClipSVC on WIndows 10. According to Microsoft, if you disable the services of ClipSVC, the app you bought from the Store will not function properly. It helps to maintain the license of the apps from the Store
AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC)
Deploying of the Store apps are managed by AppXSVC. It helps the Store apps with their updating, installing and uninstalling. Due to this, Windows is able to update the apps in the background. The disk resources are used when you install, update or uninstall a Windows app, which is a traditional Windows app. When you are not installing anything, you may find that the process is still running in the background, this is because it is updating the apps.
Reason for Wsappx high CPU usage
One of the main problems with Wsappx is that uses a lot of CPU space and ends up slowing down the computer. This happens mainly when it is handling background works. In other circumstances when it is active is when you are using the Windows Store. When you browse or open the Windows Store, the process starts at that moment. This process consumes a significant amount of memory especially when you are installing, updating, or uninstalling a Store app. This results in Wsappx high disk usage.
You will see that Wsappx is active in the background even when you are using the Windows Store apps. This happens because it looks for any new update available for the apps like WordPad, Windows media player, Paint, etc.
There are many users who confuse Wsappx as a virus. This is because of the fact that it runs in the background. It is a part of the Windows system and even though it slows down the system sometimes, it does not contain any viruses. This especially causes problems for the users who have a limited CPU or RAM resources.
If you are thinking of disabling it then you should be very careful. When you will try to close it from the Task Manager, you will see a message saying that closing the process will make the Windows unusable and even shut down and any unsaved data will be lost. Hence it is not advisable to stop it completely. But, you can stop it from running in the background and launch only when it is required. This can solve the problem of Wsappx high disk and RAM usage
Fixing Wsappx high CPU usage by disabling Wsappx on Windows 10
Having a high CPU and disk usage is not good for a computer as it leaves very little resource for other processes. This leads to slow responsive computers. If this problem is due to the Wsappx process, then you can solve the problem by following the solutions discussed below:-
1. Manually update the drivers of the device
The corrupted or outdated drivers can cause this problem even though it does not have a direct connection with the Wsappx. It can happen that Wsappx is trying to update the drivers in the background and is occupying more CPU resources because it has become unresponsive. In such cases, it is better if you update the drivers manually. For updating manually, you can take the help of the given steps:-
1. First of all, you have to select the Device Manager by right-clicking on the Start button.
2. After that, you have to find the Display adapter and expand it. Then, you have to go on the listed option and right-click on it. From the option, you have to click on “Update driver”.
3. Then, you have to select Search Automatically on the Update Wizard on Windows 10. This will start the process of searching the Internet for any new updates available.
You can search for the driver update on the official website if Windows fails to find the correct update for the driver. On the website, you can also find the procedure for installing the updates.
2. Use Registry Editor or Group Policy for disabling Windows Store
Another process of reducing the CPU and disk usage is by disabling the Windows Store. You can do it by any of the two methods of Registry Editor or Group Policy Editor.
1. At first, you have to go to the searching bar and type “regedit”. Then, you have to hit “Enter”. This will open the Registry Editor.
2. Next, you have to go to HIKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. After that, select the folder of SOFTWARE. Then, click on Policies, and then to Microsoft. Next, you have to go to the Windows Store.
3. Then, from the left pane, you have to click on “Windows Store”. After that, in the empty space, you have to right-click. Now, from the options menu, you have to select “New” and then “DWORD (32-bit) Value”. After that, you have to give the name of “RemoveWindowsStore” to the newly created key.
4. Next, on the “RemoveWindowsStore” key, you have to double click. Then, under the value data, you have to type ‘1’. After that, click the “OK” button and restart the computer.
Group Policy Editor
1. At first, you have to open the “Run” dialog by pressing the R key and the Windows button. Then, in the “Run” dialog type “gpedit.msc” and press Enter. This will open the Policy Editor.
2. After that, in the Group Policy Editor, you have to go to Computer Configuration. Then, you have to select Administrative Templates. Next, click on the folder of Windows Component. After that, select Store.
3. Within the Store, you have to locate the option of “Turn off the Store application”. Next, you have to right-click on it, and from the context menu, you have to select “Edit”.
4. Then, you have to select the option of “Enable”. After that press “Apply” and save the change by clicking on “OK”. Now, you have to reboot your computer. Now, check if the problem of your high CPU usage has been solved or not.
I hope that from the above discussions you are able to understand what is Wsappx? And the process of how to solve the problem of Wsappx high CPU? The methods discussed above are the best and very effective. A slow computer is very annoying and with the method to solve Wsappx high disk, you will be able to make your computer fast again.